Monday, July 02, 2007

Working Girl Gets to Travel

Today I'm going on a job interview at a local hospital. I must admit that I was rather surprised to get a phone call from them, seeing that I gave them a resume more than a month earlier. My boyfriend told me that employers may take awhile to return your phone call. My impatient ass, however, gave up after 2 weeks. Cross your fingers for me. It's a job I really want and something I believe is good to start out with right out of college.

Travel Knitting

Yesterday I told you guys I'm flying back home to New York to see my family. I'm really excited to go. I haven't seen them since January when my parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. I know that to many of you, New York is a scary, mysterious place, but for me, it's home. New York is the only place I know where you really do not need alot of money to have alot of fun (unless that is, you like the high life, then you might need a little more than $20 bucks to enjoy yourself). Living in Michigan for so long has made me yearn for some traditional Guyanese foods like curry and roti, or rice and stew cabbage, or pine tart and black cake (here's a page that talks more about the cultural influences on Guyanese cuisine).

So there are certain things I have to buy at home that Michigan simply does not have, like Wise Cheese Doodles (simliar to Cheetos but simply not the same), mouth watering thin crust pizza that you have to fold in half to eat, and $10 pedicures. I'm also planning on visiting some yarn stores in the city like Purl in Soho, Seaport Yarns and School Products in Downtown Manhattan (I know yesterday I placed myself on a more strict yarn diet, but technically, this yarn will be vacation yarn).

So of course I have some plane knitting:



I started this shawl on Saturday night. The yarn is from my stash, some Lorna's Laces sock yarn in the Rainbow colorway. I've never been so excited about a project in a long time. I've done lace work before in socks and other garments but this is my first lace shawl. I'm hopping to give this one away, but I'm thinking to myself the colors are so wild, I'm not sure many people other than myself that would like it, let alone wear it.



The reason why I have stayed away from lace for so long is because I did not want to go through the process of blocking the thing. Don't get me wrong, I love to block my knitting, but I also do not have to use thousands of pins to get the right shape like I would have to do with this shawl. Nonetheless, the pattern is not too complicated and should keep me busy on the plane ride to New York.



If I am able to, I'll see if I could blog in NYC. If not, this is goodbye till next week!

3 comments:

Harlem Purl said...

Good Luck on your interview. I rather like the vibrancy (is that a word?) of that shawl. I'm not a shawl wearer but I'm really diggint hat yarn. Worst comes to worst, you could always wrap it around your waist like a sarong at the beach. Maybe we'll run into each other while your in N-Y.

noblinknits said...

Best of luck with the interview. When I knitted a shawl, I used string instead of a million pins as in the Yarn Harlot's method. It was quite simple once I made sure nothing got too tangled up and worked a treat. The colours are very bright and fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh, be still my heart! I saw the colors and my heart started racing. The lace is exquisite! I know that using so many colors for lace is sometimes 'frowned upon' by the lace afficionados, but this is beautiful. So incredible. Let NO ONE stop you from doing this. Just.Gorgeous.

I'm so happy to have found your blog...welcome to my Bloglines list now! :-)