Sunday, July 01, 2007

Delicious yet Bitter

I've been gone for awhile now (since June 19th to be exact). I have to admit that I did not have much to say and I feel that if you don't have something real to discuss, then you should not blog until inspiration comes naturally. Well, I got my inspiration this weekend:



I finally moved into my boyfriend's apartment and I have to say that when I stacked all of my yarn on this make-shift bookshelf, I was surprised and enthusiastic about it all at the same time. You see, I was thrilled to see all of my yarn in plain sight. Now I could feel like I'm shopping in a yarn store every time I go up for some new yarn (it's dorky, I know). The bitter part of this delicious moment came after I had realized that I had alot more yarn than I expected.



I mean though some of the yarn is for my boyfriend (straight from Argentina) the majority of it belongs to me. Soon after, feelings of shame began to formulate in my soul. In fact, at one point I was somewhat embarassed to display my yarn to the world, seeing that the shelf is right across from the door and the first thing that friends and strangers would see when they walk in. Even after I stacked the yarn on the shelf and came back from a long day at the park, it overwhelmed me to see it all there first thing as I walked into the door!

I have to explain to you guys why I am shocked that my stash is larger than I had expected. All this time I thought that I did not have that big of a stash. In fact, I thought I was doing so much better than other knit bloggers with huge stashes. Before yesterday, I was so nieve and self-righteous. I would constantly tell myself, "I have so much self control. I may have alot of yarn but at least I don't have enough to fill up an entire room," or "My stash only fits into one rubbermaid bin." The reality of the matter is that I have so much yarn that I can barely fit it all on one bookshelf!



Realizing that I have all this yarn has placed alot of stress on my mind. What about this August? I was planning on having a yarn binge but it looks like I haven't purged enough of my stash to justfiy that. Additionally, in some ways I feel selfish for spending so much money on this hobby of mine when there could be better things that I could do with my money like start paying my student loans off or zero-out some credit card bills.

Still these feelings won't push me away from knitting. This is what I love to do and as far as I'm concerned, knitting has only enriched my life, not taken away from it. In fact, I don't think ANYTHING would keep me from knitting for the rest of my life, tell you the truth.

So I have a new plan. I want to make alot of Christmas presents this year (I know it's July!). Therefore, I have decided that if I'm making a Christmas present, I have to see if I could use up some stash yarn first before I purchase something new. That will be my challenge for the next 7 months. Now all I have to do is go through the stash, sort the yarn by what I want to make out of it and choose a recipient for this December. However, I'm too lazy to do that (it is Sunday, you know). I think I'll do it when I come back from vacation.

Oh yeah, I did not mention that I'm going to New York City this Tuesday. More details on that tomorrow.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow, what a coicidence? This morning upon waking up, I looked at my giant wooden wardrobe that I use as a linen closet and thought, why do I have sheets in there when I could put my yarn??? Hmmm. Thanks for the confirmation that THIS is what I should do!

Anonymous said...

You could be spending your money on a lot worse things. Even though I'm on a yarn diet now, when I do buy, I refuse to feel guilty because this is my hobby--my other major spending goes toward books. I could be buying drugs or clothes that I don't wear or having Botox stuck in my face, you know?

Hope you have a great trip!

noblinknits said...

I know exactly how you feel. I got back from travelling and put all the yarn together that I had been posting home, thinking smugly to myself, aren't I self controlled. Then boom, it hits me. I have lots of yarn and there is so much in storage. And all of it is set aside for specific things so blow me if I didn't go and spend huge amounts of money just now on lots more yarn for new things that have leapt to the top of the priority list.