Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I've Been Taged

Last week, I was tagged by the editor of this fine publication. Lately, this "Six Weird Things About Me" MeMe has been floating around bloglandia and since I've been tagged, here's my contribution to this useless yet entertaining ritual.

1) I absolutely love watching infomercials. I especially love laughing at the horrible acting and how the marketers make it seem as if you really need their product. My favorite kinds are the ones that sell useless kitchen gadgets or excercise programs/equipment.

2) I have a keen sense of smell. So much so that certain smells take me back to very specific moments in my life. I can't explain it now but if you're around me and I smell something familiar, I will tell you in the middle of our conversation, even if it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

3) I start to itch whenever I see or even think about lots of small holes that were stabbed in wooden surfaces. I get the same feeling about small bugs crawling around in a small area like ants.

4) I'm a meat eater that does not eat much meat. I live with my boyfriend and his brother, who is a vegetarian so we don't really cook a lot of meat. Even when we go out to eat, I don't eat many meat dishes either.

5) Even if I go to bed as late as 3 am, I'll still wake up between 8 am and 9 am. Maybe after years of cramming for mid-terms and staying up all night to finish homework, my body needs less sleep.

6) I hate being called "African-American" simply because I've never been to Africa and nothing about me is African. "Black" is also too harsh because it makes it seem as if people who identify themselves as "White" are complete opposites of those who identify themselves as "Black". I know that many of my ancestors were African, but my culture is Guyanese, not Sudanese or West African. Personally, I think we should all be allowed to be called "American" without hyphens.

So thats my contribution. TAG! YOUR TURN!

No comments: