Thursday, September 21, 2006

Why I Don't Get Much Knitting Done Anymore

Yesterday, I realized why I haven't been getting much knitting done lately. It's my job! Let me explain.

Back in May, I used to work at a call center in which people would call in for a "free offer" that they saw on a program of one of the organizations that we serviced. My job was the perfect example of outsourcing because the organizations that we serviced could not afford to have their programs and support a full fledge call center to answer their viewers' questions or give them a free offer. So they paid us to do it for them so that they wouldn't have to worry about equipment and employees and budgets.

Sundays were our busiest days (it was a religious call center) so we'd always be talking on the phone in whatever language we knew how (We received alot of spanish/french/portugues speaking callers. Ocassionally we'd get people from Europe or Africa too). During the week, however, it wouldn't be as busy but I still had to work. So I would have 3-4 hour shifts every other day and pick up some hours on Saturday and just knit and knit and knit because barely anyone was calling.

It was great having a job that I could knit for hours on end, do homework or whatever else that needed to get done in my life. My last job I was allowed to multitask my responsibilities, just as long as when the phone rang, I answered it according to protocol. And though my Sundays were pretty much taken away from me (my shift was 11:30 am to 5:30 pm), I still loved it for the fact that I could do what I wanted if call volume was down.

This past June I took a job working at a shipping warehouse and now I don't even have time to take a shower some days! The job requires me to be fast, efficient, and focused. I can't do anything else but work. I can't do my homework, can't write articles for the school newspaper, and worse, can't knit as much as I did before. That's why I didn't post on Monday like I said I would last week Thursday. I was too busy doing homework! I did get some knitting done but not enough to show you guys my progress.

Though I'm terribly busy this semester, there are some benefits to this crazy life that I live. For one I am ever more grateful to be alive. Seeing that I don't have much free time anymore, literally every minute counts. Time is so much more valuable to me than ever before.

It's hard trying to get your life in order when all you want to do is knit, but that is what this college student will have to do.

No comments: