Sunday, June 08, 2008

Rewarding Myself

Hey everyone! How has your weekend been turning out? Para mi, ayer fue espectacular! The day started off with washing dishes, making breakfast, and finishing up some knitting related stuff. After all of this, I was ready to sit and knit for hours on end when I realized that my house was a mess and needed to be cleaned from top to bottom. The problem was that I really wanted to go outside and make a frivolous yarn purchase. That's when I said, "Hey, if I clean the house to my satisfaction, then I will reward myself with a trip to the yarn store." Needless to say, I got what I needed to do done and headed straight to the yarn store a couple hours later. Here's what I got.





Some more lovely roving. I finally learned that the fiber I was spinning last time was Corriedale and this roving is the same animal just in different colors. I like the whole barber pole affect of plying 2 monochromatic singles together and I think that these two colors together will give me a more sophisticated yarn (unlike the last one I made, which was more sporty). What I really like about these two colors is the 80's feel they have together. The colors are soft and pretty and remind me of a businesswoman in Manhattan in a a tan pencil skirt with a purple satin blouse, pearls, chocolate brown shoes, and chocolate brown crocodile patterned purse to match.

I also bought some yarn I've never worked with before.



Two skeins of Noro Kureyon. I picked it up only because of the colors. The yarn itself is not the softest but as I mature as a knitter, I don't think everything has to be baby soft and cushy. Besides, I like working with rougher yarns to make some really tough as nails garments like hats and mittens. And seeing that I am trapped in the Midwest for the next couple years, long wearing knitwear is needed for the terrible winters we experience.




Spinning

I do agree with Jenny and Nicole from Stash & Burn podcast. Spinning is the new sock knitting! The yarn store I went to yesterday happens to sell wheels, particularly Ashford wheels. The owner was kind enough to give me a catalog and my boyfriend and I looked through it. I've spun on the Joy before and thought it was cool but my boyfriend really likes the Traveller just because of the way it looks. Believe it or not, he actually learned how to spin a LONG time ago when he was a young boy of 7 or 8 years. I'm sure if he started up again, he could pick it up fast.

That's all for now. Today I'm going to the beach with some friends to get a tan. I know, I know, I'm already fairly dark skinned (i.e., I'm a black person) but I have to say that sitting in the sun for a couple hours doesn't just darken my skin, it also adds a nice golden glow to it that I absolutely LOVE. Plus laying on a towel on the beach and sun bathing is even more relaxing than a full body massage or a pedicure and yet it is a lot cheaper!

Lastly, here are some pictures of my boyfriend's garden. He's the one with the green thumb and I'm proud of his accomplishments. He has some zucchini, tomatoes, hot peppers, basil, and thyme growing. Enjoy!








NOTE

We didn't end up going to the beach because a tornado decided to mess up our sunny day. Nevertheless, I had fun with my friends inside waiting out the storm. Later!

2 comments:

noblinknits said...

I had a great weekend too thanks. Went to a concert in London (Gabriela Chilmi) on Saturday and had a picnic on Sunday. The fine weather is holding here and my courgette (zuchini)plant is growing well.

Can't wait to see what you spin with the new colours.

Carol said...

nada mejor que ir de compras despues de un aseo profundo a la casita!!! estan preciosas las lanas que compraste sobre todo el tono de los 1º ovillos....

uhauuuu que buena mano tiene tu novio para las plantas, la albahaca tiene un aromo exquisito , aca la usamos para hacer humitas ( plato chileno) que es muy rico, esta hecho a base de maiz, aca te dejo unos links por si te interesa leer.

http://www.martita.cl/index.php?menu=receta&id=1260

http://www.chile.com/tpl/articulo/detalle/ver.tpl?cod_articulo=1555

http://www.nudos.cl/?a=636


Que fome que no hayas podido ir a la playa pero será para otro día!!

Cariños..