Monday, December 31, 2007

The Holidays, Part 2

Before the new year is out, I had to tell you guys about my time in NYC.

There was lots of family:









Mind you, my family is large, many more cousins, uncles, aunts, and other people who are like family that aren't shown here.

There was food:



I had to show you guys my family's Christmas tradition as I ate it, Pepper Pot (scroll down for a recipe to try out). EVERY Guyaneese family has this dish EVERY Christmas in the morning time with some bread to soak in the sauce. It can also be eaten later on in the day with rice (but the Pepper Pot is done way before lunch time anyway!) And it's not a cheap dish. Lots of oxtail, cow heel, turkey, and chunks of beef (you can also add pig feet if you like, but we've never done that in my family). I think the cost and the time it takes to make it is the main reason why it is a holiday treat!

And of course there was lots of knitting:





My mom loved the hat and my grandmother really liked the cardigan. When my aunts and uncle and cousins saw it, they said I should really knit for pay. Don't you hate when people do that to you? I keep telling people I knit for fun and there is no way I would knit for money because I'm not as efficient and fast as a machine to make real money. I'd prefer to design or make the yarn at the mill, or something that makes more sense. Even if you charged $500 for a handknit adult sweater (which by the way is way higher than what I saw was going for handknit sweaters online) it still would not be worth my knitting time. I'd rather keep my hair in my head, thank you.

I even let my dorky side come out of me this year:





I had to take a picture of the E train, the train that I practically grew up on. As the artery of Queens, it got me to anywhere I needed to be in New York. This and the annual Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center are very iconic to New York and seeing that New York City shall forever be in my blood, I had to take a couple shots of them.

So, as you can see I had a pretty good holiday. Tomorrow will be the new year (how cool is that). More blogging on the way. Feliz Navidad, Prospero Ano Nuevo y felicidad a todos! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and happiness to everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year to you! Great holiday pictures...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, you're a native NY'er too :) I miss home and can't wait to go there in Feb. Your family is beautiful. Happy new year to you and yours.

http://www.royalempress.wordpress.com