Friday, October 12, 2007

When It Rains, It Poors

Last post I was talking about my new house venture and how that has taken time from knitting. Well I haven't heard much from my realtor, so that has created some time for knitting - LOTS of knitting. Take a look:







Some leg warmers for a friend, an almost done baby sweater, and some freshy mailed sock yarn from Yarn Hollow. My friend plays flag football and she mentioned she wanted some leg warmers. I started these Wednesday and I'm almost done with the first one (1 more inch to go). Total kniting time has to be 4 hours, which surprised me a lot because I did not think I knit that fast. That's a nice surprise!

The almost done baby sweater is for one of my twin nephews for this Christmas. I'm waiting on some more yarn from KnitPicks so I could start and complete the second sweater. I used the drop sleeve sleeve sweater pattern in this book but I don't want to do it again for the second sweater (sometimes I don't like when identical twins are so matchy, matchy). Instead I'm going to do the raglan sleeve sweater with a brown body and green or red sleeves (I have to decide once I buy the yarn).

I have also received the new Holiday Issue of Vogue Knitting:



Let's just say that when I came home from work, saw the magazine on my coffee table, I had a relgious moment (as in I prostrated myself and praised the Lord). I know last time I completely shitted on Vogue Knitting, but I must say that this time they do have some things in there that I really want to make. For example, the cover alone draws me into this issue. Maybe because the featured pattern is made out of red yarn (one of my favorite colors) and many of the patterns are garments I would see myself wearing. So, I guess I could forgive Vogue Knitting this time. Last time I was ready to write them off my subscribtion list of knitting magazines, but they have truly redeemed themselves with this new issue.

Last but certainly not least, I got my invite to Ravelry this past Wednesday. My name is Kellyson if you are interested in making me a friend. I was rather surprised and excited when I got my invite. I immediately logged on, started editing my profile and looked around. I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe it's because instead of clicking the "What can Ravelry do for you" button, I just wandered around. One thing I did not like was that you can only upload pictures from Flickr. This is because to get the most out of one of these accounts, you need to pay money, and as cheap as I am, I'm not paying for this type of webspace. I know Flickr does a lot more than hold pictures but that's all I need. That's why place my pictures on Snapfish. All you need to do is buy at least 1 photo per year for them to print and you can put as many pictures as you want on their site. It's wonderful, and the printing service is fast and easy if you want to print some digital photos.

I think what also contributed to my small disapointment in Ravelry is that I didn't feel like I had enough time to really get into it. I hear from many people with blogs on Ravelry that spending time there takes time away from their blogging, and quite frankly, I'd rather but writing about knitting than searching on a site for knitting. Furthermore, I guess in a sense, even though I really enjoy looking at other people's projects, the volume of patterns and yarn and everything knitting on Ravelry would make me more of a spectator than a knitter. And if my goal is to get rid of most of my yarn by next year (life spare), I better start knitting, rather than watching other people knit!

Man that was a lot of writing! This weekend I'm going to start a shawl, because I'm itching for something challenging and requires focus. Until next time, happy knitting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, VK this issue was pretty good. Still, for whatever reason, I always see something I want to knit out of IK.

You really have been knitting! Your WIPs look great. And I like it when twins aren't so matchy matchy either.

As for Ravelry...give it some time. It's what you make of it. Some people love it, some aren't so thrilled. But definitely give it time. It's like Disney World...you can't do it all in one day. ;-)

Deborah said...

as usual your analytical self got it right. revelry can suck the life out of, well, your life if you are not careful. I like the pattern database - fast links and with pictures.