Monday, September 10, 2007

Some Tidbits

So I had an especially wonderful weekend. Saturday I had to run some errands like grocery shop and things like that but on Sunday I spent the whole day knitting and watching some football! Here are some pictures of what I worked on this weekend:



I figured I get some Christmas knitting started with this wash cloth. I'm thinking I'm going to make several and then buy some nice soap, baskets, make some candles, and make a little nice homemade bath kit for the women in my life. Quick, easy, and tasteful.





Two scarves. Remember this scarf I was making for my sister this Christmas? Well I figured that it looked ugly so I ripped it out and started over again. The result is the Windy City scarf from the original Stitch 'n Bitch book. Since I had two different colors of Malabrigo that were within the red family, I figured I would alternate knitting from the two balls by knitting two rows from one than switching to the other for the whole scarf. Hopefully you guys can see the slight striping affect this made. This scarf is so soft, I wish it were for me! But I know my sister would love it and get some great use out of it.

The second is a chunky scarf made out of this stuff from Rowan. It's for me; perfect for brisk fall evenings and cold winter days. I love making scarves like these because they are quick. I used a stitch pattern from one of the Vogue Stitchionaries. BTW, there is another set of stichionaries that are ready to come out next month. I'm thinking of getting them all. Maybe not all at once but if I like one book, I think I'll like the rest.



Last but not least, progress on the Jaywalker socks for Auntie Dee. I'm about 1 inch away from the toe and I'm very excited. At the rate I'm going, I think the pair will be done by the end of this month or sooner. Which is perfect because Sascatchewan gets very cold very quickly.

Complaints

As of this writing, has anyone noticed that all of the knitting publications have released their fall issues instead of Knitty? Am I the only one bothered by this? Here we are already in September and Knitty has not updated its web content. I mean it's not like I need to add any more new projects to my queue but I still enjoy clicking through the website to look at the patterns that people have created. I did hear, however, that Amy Singer, the editor of the website, was sick last week, via Cast-On. But I would think that if this is her full time job, she would have a staff to depend on to ensure that the website is updated in a timely fashion. Thankfully those of you that need your new project fix, Magknits has updated and they have some pretty cute things to fantasize about and eventually knit.

3 comments:

noblinknits said...

Yummy looking scarves. I like the blending of the reds. Well done you for thinking about Christmas knitting now! Great idea for gifts - the combination of something hand knitted and something else.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't going to Christmas knit, but your idea sounds like a good one. Quick & easy, which is perfect.

Virtuous said...

Yeah I have no plans to Christmas knit at all either, but if I finally cave your package idea works for me!! LOL

Dang you put a nice dent in your knitting progress this weekend!