Sunday, March 09, 2008

Nothing Much

Hi everyone. I don't have much to say today so I thought some good ol' yarn pr0n was in order.

First things first. I got this yarn the first week I moved into my new home. I bought it online from Purl, a yarn store in chic Soho in downtown Manhattan (or New York City for those who don't know). When I first started knitting 4 years ago (wow has it been that long?) I went on a yarn crawl to every single yarn store in New York City that I could find. Purl was definitely on the list and let me tell you it was great. Even though the store is no bigger than a walk in closet, the yarns are gorgeous and the staff were friendly to me. Still the prices were way out of my price range so I didn't really get anything that day. However, I still cruise the site from time to time for some deals for some great yarns. I came across such a deal 3 weeks ago.



From left to right I got a skein of Rowan Big Wool for my boyfriend (he wants to make a scarf for me but based on his work load, I don't think he'll be getting to that project till next winter). The yellow skein is 1 of 3 of Cascade Quattro. I got the Fitted Knits book by Stephanie Japel last year and really wanted to make this vest. We'll have to wait and see for that one (seeing that I have so many projects in queue right now). The last ball is new from Jade Sapphire called Lacey Lamb. 800+ yards of gorgeous lace weight yarn. I bought it at full price but at about $19 a ball, I'm not complaining. This will obviously be a shawl for me. Which, shawl pattern, I haven't decided yet.



Last week, I got some yarn from Webs. They gave me free shipping to compensate for the situation that took place with my last order from them. I also ordered something bigger but that's on back order and when it comes in, I shall reveal it to you all. I purchased all Valley Yarns. This was their hand dyed sock yarn called Franklin and it is GORGEOUS! I love just looking at it and petting it and stroking it and caressing it (in other words, I REALLY like it).



I also got some much needed Eucalan and some yarn for felting. Again, Valley Yarns, but one called Northhampton. It reminds me of Cascade 220 but better. 247 yards, tons of cool colors, and $4.99 a ball are some facts I like about this yarn. Like Cascade 220 it's not so soft for next to skin wear (I'm pretty sensitive to wool) but it is perfect for thicker sweaters, toys, blankets, and of course, felting.



And I had to save the best for last. I finally got some stuff from the Loopy Ewe. I have never ordered from them before but heard so many wonderful things about the place. I couldn't resist this Chewy Spaghetti skein. The colors are like cheerful camoflauge. I love it.





I also picked up a skein of Perchance to Knit. This lady's stuff is PHENOMENAL. I love her color sense. So bright, in your face and beautiful. Many hand dyers use very muted and soft colors, which are nice but not really my thing. Perchance to Knit yarn is bold and I really enjoy it.

Oh yeah, I do have a FO to show.



I actually finished this baby blanket when the NY Giants won the Super Bowl back in February. I really liked how it came out. However, I tried wet blocking it and I haven't found a way for it to lay completely flat without having creases throughout the blanket. Plus, many people have mentioned that it is too small for a baby. I have to agree, but damn it, isn't it the thought that counts? Either way, I had fun doing it and next time around, will make sure it is large enough for a baby to use longer than his first month of life.

Sadness

I wanted to express to you guys some sadness. Last post I wanted to start a discussion about crochet vs. knitting, but I only got 3 comments about it. Still, I want to thank everyone that did participate (including Marly of the Yarn Thing podcast) and encourage the rest of you guys to continue the discussion. I'm really interested in what you all have to say about the matter.

Anyway, that's all for now. For those of you in the United States, don't forget to change your time up by 1 hour. I was kind of sad when I realized that we had to loose an hour today, but if loosing an hour means Spring will come sooner, I'm all for it! As always, happy knitting!

2 comments:

Virtuous said...

Great WIPs and fiber loot around here!

And look at the pinwheel baby blanket!

Don't be sad!! I need to go read your knit vs. crochet discussion ;op

Anonymous said...

Look at all that yummy yarn...wow.
It's hard to tell how big the baby blanket is from here, but it's cute! Sorry it wasn't big enough.